乔治Liepa Sigma XI Speaker Series
The 乔治Liepa Sigma Xi Annual Speaker Series Endowed Fund at 菲律宾十大彩票平台 presents:
关于这节课的信息:随着气候变化的加速, there is growing concern that our cities and communities will be subject to environmental stresses beyond what they can exceed. 海平面上升, combined with increased risk from extreme precipitation, 飓风和其他气候灾害, requires that communities urgently develop and implement adaptation plans. The challenge is that many key physical processes that control climate evolution and sea level rise remain poorly understood, leading to a range of climate and sea level rise scenarios confounding many adaptation plans. 同时, communities face disparate vulnerabilities with lower income and marginalized communities already facing disproportionate risks associated with flooding with fewer resources to mitigate these disasters. Addressing these risks requires that we link science, society and engineering to understand how the past can inform equitable adaptation and mitigation policies that are urgently needed. 我会讲一下历史, geography and geology affect past and future adaptation efforts with a focus on adaptation and mitigation efforts currently underway in the nearby midwestern city of Detroit, 密歇根州和海滨城市休斯顿, 德州.
关于博士. 实用: "I did my undergraduate degree in Math and Physics. I did my PhD at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, where I was trained as a geophysicist and oceanographer. I then moved to the University of Chicago, driving from La Jolla California to Chicago in December. I am now a professor in the Department of Climate and Space Sciences at the University of Michigan. Most of my original work uses a mixture of computational work, field work and satellite imagery to understand the fundamental processes and mechanisms by which ice sheets and glaciers respond to climate change. 越来越多地, my work has evolved to focus more on interdisciplinary approaches that integrate science into decision making to adapt to the changing climate."
The 乔治Liepa Sigma XI Speaker Series Endowed Fund was established in 2011 in memory of Dr. 乔治Liepa [PDF]. George was an active campus member of Sigma Xi, a professor of human nutrition and a department head in the College of Health and Human Services.
当研究生研究展览会成立的时候, it was his idea to have a science-related speaker present at the end of the day. George secured funding from Sigma Xi National to start the event and was a key figure in helping to select the annual speaker as well as marketing the event to EMU students, 教师和当地高中.
Previous 乔治Liepa Sigma Xi Speakers:
- 周四，2022年3月17日-博士. Stefan米. Pasiakos: "Leveraging Nutritional Science to Optimize Soldier Health and Performance“[PDF]
- 周四，2021年3月18日-博士. Anne Casper, "Effective Teaching to Support Inclusivity and Diversity in STEM“[PDF]
- Due to COVID-19, the 2020 乔治Liepa Sigma Xi Speaker Series event was postponed until 2021.
- 2019年3月21日(星期四) Dr. Sophia Lunt, "Starving Cancer Away: Deciphering Metabolic Rewiring in Cancer“[PDF]
- March 15, 2018 - Richard Lunt, "Solar Panels: A Revolution in Distributed Power Production“[PDF]
- 2017年3月23日- 玛丽年代. O’Neill, “Climate Change and Health: 研究 and Partnerships for Action” [PDF]
- 11月17日, 2016年，大卫·卡佩里, “Robots Deliver Results: Multi-Scale Robotics and Automation, 从大到小”[PDF]
- November 19, 2015 - Dana Dolinoy, “Your Epigenome: DNA is not Necessarily Your Destiny” [PDF]
- November 13, 2014 - Gary Huffnagel, “Your Gut: So Much More Than a Digestive System” [PDF].
- 3月18日, 2013年，唐纳德·贝茨, "Genetic Regulation of Bovine Milk Fatty Acid Composition: Improving the Healthfulness of Milk through Selection“[PDF]
- March 26, 2012 - Jeanette Hasse, "Nutrition Strategies to Improve Organ Transplant Outcomes“[PDF]
- March 21, 2011 - Carol Ireton-Jones, "Malnutrition, Inflammation & 能量代谢”[PDF]
- 3月16日, 2010年——伊丽莎白·弗里德曼, "Archaeological Science: Forging Common Ground across Academic Disciplines“[PDF]
- 2009年3月23日-诺曼G. 霍德，“预防癌症的膳食指南”[PDF]
- 3月24日, 2008年，珍妮特·亚当斯, "Preserving the Nation’s Cultural Heritage through Chemistry: Analytical Materials Science at the 图书馆 of Congress“[PDF]
- 2007年3月26日——威廉. Harris, "The Cardioprotective Effects of Fish Oils: Consensus and Controversies"
- March 27, 2006 - Peter Mancuso, "Phat Hormones: The emerging Role of the Adipokines in Health Care"
- March 28, 2005 - Tony England, "The Opportunity Cost of the New NASA“[PDF]
- March 22, 2004 - Howard Van Till, "Finders and Keepers: Can Religion Keep What Science Finds?“[PDF]
- 3月24日, 2003年，杰奎琳·克里姆, "Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems: These Squeaky Wheels Will Get No Grease“[PDF]
- 3月18日, 2002 - Milford Wolpoff, "Paleo-Anthropology“[PDF]
- Fall 2001- external speaker, topic: genetic engineering of food